In this weeks dialogue I decided to pick a quote from the story. The quote is from when the two are going to the fairgrounds to watch the fireworks. " You know," Thomas said. " It's strange how us Indians celebrate the Fourth of July. It ain't like it was our independence everybody was fighting for." After the exchange, Victor tells Thomas that he thinks too much and that the Fourth of July is just for having fun. The first time I read this passage, I didn't really think about it, but the second time I automatically thought to myself that Victor must understand what Thomas is trying to say. The reason I say this is because the way that Thomas is talking to Victor is how two people talk about something that the two both understand. He isn't explaining something to him, he is almost complaining about it. The way that Victor brushes this off, by saying that it is just meant to be fun, sounds like a person who knows what he is saying isn't true, but it is easier than continuing the conversation.
I think that for some people it easier for them to "play down" their own feelings and just go with the flow of other people. This is how I read what happened in the story. I think that Victor is well aware of what Thomas is saying, mostly because he grew up with him. I am sure that they had the same conservation about thinking too much more than one time.
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteThanks for highlighting this quote. Each time I read this passage, I'm reminded how smart Thomas is. He may be considered strange by the community, but he's asking questions about the world around him; he's a critical thinker. I agree that Victor's response is meant to brush the statement off, but I wonder about the revolution that would happen if more people asked questions.
Thanks for your insights.
Lauren
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI like the quote you picked and I think you did a good job analyzing the quote and explaining what you got from it.
Hey Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteFor some reason that quote did not even stand out to me. Now that I read your thoughts on it I would have to agree. Victor probably did understand what Thomas was trying to say and most likely just did not want to get into it.
Sabrina