This is a great question. Why does Kiyoshi believe that Obaban is a substitute for his mom? He feels that she is the substitute because of all the superstitions that his mother has taught him. The way that the older generation believed that all things were connected, and how to get rid of bad luck has been passed down to the next generation. This bad luck, can be passed on to someone else, a substitute. He thought that Obaban was the perfect substitute because of her age, she had already lived a full life. He had also convinced himself that she would not be missed as much as his mom would.
The way that people believe in superstition is still common. When you see a ladder, you think about the bad luck of waling under it. When you see a black cat, one cant help but to think of bad luck. The same can be said about broken mirrors and crows. Or the one about a penny in your shoe. Whether you believe or not, we still think about them. I think this is the same for Kiyoshi, he may not believe but he still participates in them.
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you in regards to how amazing it is how the mother passes on her beliefs to her son. Its is really funny to me how if one parent believes in something so strong that eventually they influence the ones closest to them to believe as well. Personally I have never been superstitious, however, I have wondered about some things just because of my family's beliefs. Thanks for the read.
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI think its telling that Kiyoshi needs to believe this superstition. The meaning he gives his mother's seemingly miraculous recovery and the death of Obaban is that Obaban was his mother's substitute. Also, I like the point you make in your second paragraph. I agree that there are still many superstitions.
Lauren
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI like how you brought up a couple other superstitions that most of us have heard whether we believe in them or not. I am sure that it is how Kiyoshi gets mixed feelings whether he should believe in them or not since his mother is so superstitious and his father is not superstitious.
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post. I agree that Kiyoshi might not truly share the same superstions as his mom but he still participates. I think this helps him cope with his grandma's death and his mother's illness.
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteYou made good points about superstitions and how we can't help but think of them even if we don't believe in them. I think that's true, I'm not superstitious but when I see a black cat, bad luck immediately comes to mind. For Kiyoshi, I think it was necessary for him to believe in that superstition about the substitute.
Hello Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteThat funny that you say that because I would not consider myself superstitius but when any of those thing happen I do think about them. Thanks for the insight.
Mattie
Hey Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteThey way you write how Kiyo feels about Obaban being his mothers substitute sounds as if he had her come over to their house and see how sick his mother was just so she could be the substitute. As if he picked her to be the substitute, I’m sure you did not mean it to come out that way I just thought that it was rather funny for some odd reason.
Sabrina