Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chapter 13 Eliminate distracting shifts

      Chapter thirteen talks about points of view, the perspective in which something is written, and why it is important to stay in that perspective.  Informal letters and writing based on personal experience should  be written in first person (I or we).  When the writer is giving advice or explaining how to do something, the writer should use you, which is second person. When the writer is is writing in a formal academic or professional setting, the third person perspective is appropriate,  (he,she,it,one, or they).  When a writer doesn't settle for one point of view it can become confusing for the reader. 
      The writer needs to maintain the the same time table, keep the same verb tenses, or the reader may become confused.  If the writer is talking about past tense and then jumps to the present all of the verbs need to match.  Also verbs that show how the overall mood is should be consistent as well.  The writer should try to keep questions and quotations either direct or indirect.  What this means is that if you are going to quote in one part directly(word for word) you should continue that in all writing.
       This chapter will help in my writing, I tend to shift.  I will try to pay more attention to the time shifting.  I sometimes use past and present in the same paragraph.  The  way that we use the first, second, or third person perspective will also help to write more clearly.  I don't remember learning the part about keeping the quotations the same, and I will definitely use that in my future writing

No comments:

Post a Comment