The way that we watch movies is for the most part passive. When we watch an action film, we are only watching and waiting for the action scenes. The reading material explains how we (the audience) don't really pay attention to all of the other things that are happening on the screen. The way the the director has the lighting can totally change the feeling that the viewer has. Take for example the Blair Witch Project, the movie was a horror film. This movie was one of the scariest movies I had ever seen. When I look back, most of the terror I felt was because of the lighting, and the way that the film looked like a documentary. By making it look like a documentary film, it made it seem more real. While I was watching the movie I never thought of this, otherwise it might have not been so scary.
I will use this information the ext time that I have an assignment on writing about film. Now I will be a little more analytical when I watch movies. I will try to spot the hidden triggers that the directors has in play. This was and insightful reading for me, I never thought about the way that lighting has such an effect on the viewer.
No comments:
Post a Comment