Thursday, October 28, 2010
Smoke Signals
I decided to pick a scene from the movie, and to write about it. The scene that I picked is when the two girls are in the car talking. This is happens in the beginning of the move, so I felt that it was important and it was funny as well. The way that the story portrays Indians is very stereotypical, and at times, to me awkward. The way that the two girls are talking to each other leads the viewer to believe that they are ignorant people. What I mean is why would the girl ask for a beer, and then the other girl tell don't you remember we quit drinking. I thought that this was a little extreme. Very amusing, but extreme. I also liked this part because the whole time that they are driving, they are in reverse. Which, right away I thought that their car had no forward gears maybe, meaning that they couldn't afford to fix it? I felt that this string of scenes all the way until the two boys get on the bus was about how the Indians had little to no money, and were just all around goofy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also thought this part of the movie was funny. I watch this movie with my boyfriend and he was like what the heck, Why are they driving in reverse. I just assumed that they could not go forward. I never did look at like they were poor though that is a very good point.
ReplyDeleteHi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely an amusing scene. I interpret it to mean the car can't go forward, and they probably don't have the money to either fix it or get another car. I find it interesting that the women are interested in hearing Thomas' stories and the comment that "it's a fine example of the oral tradition". The statement she makes is very literary, which leads me to believe she's studied Native American Literature and the "oral tradition" in the past or the present. It certainly isn't a comment the audience would expect from someone driving in reverse.
Thanks for your ideas!
Lauren
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI also couldn't help but see how strange the movie seemed with all of the sterotypes in the beginning of the movie. It seemed very unnecessary to me to make them appear to be ignorant people, and the girls driving in reverse everywhere they go, I didn't even know what to think. Maybe the director was trying to show Victor and Thomas' peers, so we can compare them to others they grew up around.