Chapter Four explains how to build effective paragraphs. Paragraphs should have a topic sentence, that supports the thesis, and focuses on what is coming next in the essay. The topic sentence doesn't always have to the first sentence in the paragraph, but it should state the main point. The rest of the sentences in a paragraph need to stay on topic and develop the main thesis. The way that an essay is written, the pattern, doesn't have to be in any one way , but it needs to flow. The writer should provide examples in the essay where ever there might be a need to better illustrate the idea. Narration or a narrative paragraph tells the reader a story in chronological order, but can also include flashbacks or forward to break it up some. Descriptive paragraphs are just that, descriptive, they describe a person place or thing. A process paragraph tells you how something is accomplished in order, step by step. Paragraphs can also be used to compare two or more subjects to show the differences or contrasts. Another tool for showing comparisons is to use analogies. The writer needs to be able to make paragraphs readable, by having the ideas linked clearly and coherent. By adjusting the length of paragraphs the writer can keep the reader involved in the essay. If the writer changes point of view the reader can become easily confused. If the writer uses transitional phrases in between sentences it lets the paragraph flow and read easier, the same goes for transitioning between paragraphs as well.
This chapter had allot of information on how to keep the reader engaged in the essay. The part that I will use the most is to stay on point. I tend to put to much information into one paragraph. I will use this chapter when I start to put my ideas into paragraph form. I never even thought about the transition between sentences or paragraphs, I just wrote down what I was thinking, and hit spell check.This chapter made me think more about how to convey what I am thinking, and to put it into a more coherent order.
No comments:
Post a Comment