Thursday, October 21, 2010

My response to Mr. Harvey.

When I read about Mr. Harvey, I was surprised at how he spoke to students.  I have never heard a teacher tell a child that he or she would be nothing when they grew up.  My first thought is how is this person telling a child something like that, their whole purpose is to nurture and to help a child flourish.  The next thought is that this man must of had a terrible childhood, or maybe he was picked on because of his own speech problem.  Even if this is the case, that is still no reason for a teacher to degrade a student. 

I have a daughter that is in elementary school, in the fourth grade.  If she had come home and told me or her mother that a teacher had spoken to her like this, there would be a teacher parent meeting the following day.  I think people that work with children should be held at a higher standard, and not allowed to take out their frustrations on children. Mr. Harvey, in my opinion, is probably not a bad person, but someone who gets frustrated a little to easy to be a teacher. Teachers need to have patience, and want to be there to help learn, not to have the attitude that "it'll take us a goddamn lifetime".

6 comments:

  1. Hi Benjamin,

    I have children in school too, and I'd be angry if something like this were to happen.

    Perception is everything; if teachers have preconceived notions about their students, then I think those preconceptions can be self-fulfilling. Part of Lovey's problem is the inundation of negative messages, implicitly in the media and explicitly in the classroom, that eat away at her self-esteem. Your post has me thinking that elementary and middle school teachers need to also serve as counselors. No wonder some teachers are overworked and frustrated. Clearly Mr. Harvey has no right to say what he does; perhaps he needs to stop teaching, since he's doing more damage than good.

    Thanks for your insights!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Benjamin,
    I really enjoyed reading your work. I feel the same as you, if my child came home from school and told me they were treated with disrespect by their teacher I would be asking for a conference. Children can be difficult, but the teacher needs to be the bigger person and control the situation without degrading the student. My first thought like you was that Mr. Harvey had a difficult childhood, but this is no excuse. Thanks. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Benjamin,

    I also agree that if you are going to work with young children you need patience. I know what is like to get frustrated when trying to teach a child how to do something because I also have young child. I can understand getting frustrated but I also don's agree with the way that Mr. Harvey handled it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Benjamin,

    I totally agree with your outrage at how Mr. Harvey spoke to the children. After reading the story, it seems that he is frustrated because he's had so many years of, in his eyes failing the children. Now he believes if he says it exactly how he believes the rest of society views it he will have more of a chance of getting through to them. This is still no reason to speak to the children the way he did. I hadn't thought of him having a rough childhood, that is a very good point to mention and something I will think of myself. Thanks for the write

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Benjaming,

    You have a good point here, “that this man must of had a terrible childhood, or maybe he was picked on because of his own speech problem.” I would have never thought about the possibility of the teacher having a rough childhood and, being so aggressive with the children because of that. Now, you got me thinking, assuming he was being pick on, maybe he became a teacher to prove every one wrong, and because being pick on pushed him to be better, maybe he thinks that being tough with the children he teaches would make them push themselves too.

    Estela

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make a great point it does seem alot different when I hear a grownup tell a kid you won't go anywhere when you grow up. Mr Harvey must have learned the strangest approach to teaching kids

    ReplyDelete