The Purdue Online Writing Lab tells the reader about writing fiction, and some of the pitfalls the reader/ student fall into. Close reading means using a highlighter, after you have already read for comprehension, and writing notes in the margin. The notes in the margin should have questions, statement and some general notes. Right after reading the essay, the student should keep a notebook for free writes and response entries.
Here are some of the pitfalls, the plot summary syndrome, this is when the student believes that the only task is to remember the plot, it is not the intended goal. The right answer roulette, this is when the student tries to guess the only right answer that only the teacher knows, there is always more than one.The everything is subjective shuffle, this assumes that every interpretation is of personal taste, and ignores the validity of the need to reference specifics of the story. the last one is how can a person write 500 words on a short story, you have to be able to put your own ideas down in order to write 500 words, especially if the the story is short.
I will use this information the next time I write about a work of fiction. I am just now starting to actively read . I just now began marking in the margins of books, and asking questions. I like how it helps me to grasp what the author is trying to convey. This will help me to better understand the mechanics of what the writer is doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment