I really enjoyed this story. The ending at first felt like it was hurried. But after reflecting on the rest of the story, it made sense. The way that Kiyoshi is dealing with being gone from home. The way that he made all the money that his family needs to get out of debt, and how is ready, or maybe not so ready for war. I thought that this is good way to end a story about superstition, and stories of bad luck, and what seemed a life of hardship.
In the ending of the story it was like he was obsessed with money and how he could padroll to win. When he was a child, all he heard about was bad luck and superstition, and now, on his way to war, he is making his own luck. The way that he feels about taking the money of others was a little twisted, " besides if I didn't take their money another padroller would have". What a common way of making it OK. I liked how the last lines of the story, Take care the body. In the last pages of the story we find him going to war, but he really never talks about how he feels, only the gambling.
Hello Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI am really happpy I read your post because I didnt take in the last line "take care the body" I read it, I just didnt take it in until I read your post. I also really enjoyed the end of this story.
Mattie
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. I also felt like I would have liked to see how Kiyoshi really felt going to war. Great job!
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, thank you for your comments on my blog throughout the semester, I deeply appreciated them. One thing I also noticed was that on the book it didn’t say much, not to say nothing, about how Kiyo felt going to war; however, I also consider it was a great book. I definitely give me a lot to think about.
Estela
Hi Benjamin
ReplyDeleteI too like the ending. I liked the pace of the story for the last 20 pages. I thought it was interesting how Kyoshi didn't really discuss how he felt about the war either. I think I was looking for some more of the story there. The author really did bring Kyoshi's character to life when he was on his way to war.
Thanks for your comments.
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought of how Kiyo used mathematics to win his way to his last roll and in turn, change his family's luck. I felt like the ending was cut short as well, but once I reflected on it and finally realized that the debt is what the story was about I felt content. I like how you mentioned "take care the body," that's something I didn't take into consideration until after reading your post and it makes the story much better.