Hi
A freewrite is a tool for a writer to get ideas on to paper. The idea is that he/she can put many thoughts down quickly. Then the writer can go over these thoughts and streamline into another freewrite . By doing this, you can end up with some great material about the subject. There are no rules in the freewrite. The writer jots/types as many ideas as possible on a subject. Sometimes the subject will change, or alter after the writer starts to brainstorm.
Me, on the otherhand found that my first freewrite was strange. I cought myself totally thinking , "did I spell that right"? Or was my grammar correct.. Too funny. I also found that I digressed many times. I had no idea that freewriting will help you to become a better writer. It seems that if you pratice bad puncuation, that it will be hard to implement it when you need to. I seemed to have problems putting myself back on task, but will continue to try to do this to help refine my writing.
I thought that the freewrite would be easy. My first attempt, got caught up in watching the time and hit somtething that exited the widow. My second attemtp I could not seem to focus on the subject. I am hoping that this will get easier for me. I am sure I wasnt the only one that had this happen?
Benjamin
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI remember the first few times I tried freewriting; it seemed strange to me too. I had been taught to edit as I go; each sentence I jotted down needed to be corrected and revised before I could go to the next.
I don't think freewriting will help with grammar or spelling--that's something revision will help with. I think the freewrite will help us generate and think through our ideas before we have to produce text that others will read. It also helps us see the difference between writing to produce ideas and writing for an audience.
Thanks for giving me more to think about!
Lauren
Hey Benjamin your ideas about freewrites are a lot like mine I see. But I like this freewrite stuff because I am not the greatest writer and it allows us to make all the mistakes we need without being punished for it. And like you I think it is a way to jot down all of our great and not so great ideas without worrying about if its spelled write or punctuated right.
ReplyDeleteHi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteYou definitely aren't the only one that happened to! I had a hard time focusing on the subject also. And an even more difficult time letting spelling, grammar and punctuation errors go. I think it will get easier as we go. I think free writing is going to be really helpful.
:)
Deborah
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI also had a hard time with correcting spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors while doing my freewrite. It seems like we've been taught so well to always write "right," that we can't even let ourselves sit down for ten minutes and write how we speak. My mind seemed to wander throughout the freewrite as well, but from reading the handout, it appears that it's totally fine to do that, you just have to eventually get your mind back to the subject. I'm sure freewriting will get easier for all of us the more that we do it, besides, all it is is putting our minds on paper for a few minutes.
Alex Robinson
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI was personally surprised at how easy it was for me to forget about trying to correct my grammar. When typing i usually make many mistakes and stop and fix them as i go but as i wrote even my mistakes became fewer and i was able to just continue on.
Hi Benjamin,
ReplyDeleteI thought your viewpoint was very clear and easy to follow. It is challenging to make the sentences come together in a planned direction, also I like the idea of collecting ideas from your freewrite. The things I find more difficult are trying to come up with a topic as I also drew blanks. I thought it was easy and think of it more as a tool to learn to write freely without restrictions but also more rough like speech because you can’t go back and change it.
Krystal